Here’s what you’ll need:
1 cup coconut oil or butter, softened
1 1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp orange extract
1 tbsp orange zest
1 1/2 large egg or 1 extra-large egg, room temperature
1/3 cup molasses
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 tsp ginger
1/8 black pepper
- Cream coconut oil and sugar together until fluffy.
- Add vanilla and orange extracts, and eggs. Add molasses until combined.
- Sift flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and black pepper.
- Stir flour mixture into wet mixture. Add 1/3 of flour mixture at a time until combined. Do not over-mix.
- At this point you can form cookie batter into a ball, slightly flatten, and wrap in plastic wrap before freezing (This method is for rolling out dough for cookie-cutter). Or line loaf pan with plastic wrap being sure to leave overhang on all sides. Press dough into loaf pan and press down firmly and evenly with overhanging plastic. This step makes it easy to cut into slices before baking.
- Freeze dough for at least one hour or longer before slicing (loaf method). Allow dough to defrost for about 2 hours at room temperature before rolling out (cookie-cutter method).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice cookies no more than 1/8″ thick. I like to take a chunk of cookie dough and lay it on a wax paper, take another sheet of wax paper and lay it on top of the cookie dough in order to roll out dough. It’s also easy clean-up.
- Place cookies on sheet pan lined with wax paper.
- Cook for 7-12 minutes. Cook for less time depending on the thickness of your cookies.
- Cookies will become crispy after cooling.