Ginger Brussels Slaw with Almonds
(This week’s Brown Bag Secret Ingredient: Almonds)
(Makes 4 servings)
1/2 pound brussels sprouts, shredded
4 tbsp slivered almonds
2 tbsp raisins or dried cranberries (optional)
1/4 tsp sea salt (optional)
1 cup shredded carrots
1/3 cup white wine or rice vinegar
2 tbsp Tahini (sesame paste)
1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
1 tbsp soy sauce
4 tbsp honey
1 apple or pear (optional)
1/4 cup sesame oil
1/4 cup canola oil
- Wash and shred brussels sprouts first if you are unable to find pre-shredded sprouts. Set aside.
- Boil water while making dressing.
- Next, add carrots, vinegar, tahini, ginger, soy sauce, honey, and apple/pear (for extra sweetness) to blender or processor. Blend mixture on low and gradually increase speed until mixture is smooth.
- Slowly add sesame and canola oil to blender. Set dressing aside.
- Add salt and brussels sprouts into boiling water. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Drain sprouts and rinse with cold water to stop cooking process and keep them crisp and green.
- Shake away as much excess water as you can before adding sprouts to mixing bowl.
- Slowly add ginger dressing to sprouts until desired flavor intensity is reached.
- Add almonds and raisins before serving.