I love ice cream. I mean, who doesn’t? It’s creamy, sweet, smooth, and out of this world, but it can also damage the waistline. Everything in moderation, right? For the past few years I’ve noticed quite a few alternatives to the typical ice cream or fro-yo shops and I have to admit that I’m very impressed with the new kids on the block. For those of us who aren’t able to enjoy dairy and are just tired of the same soy products on the market, there are more nut and coconut based options. But one thing that I really enjoy making in my own home is a banana based ice cream made from, well, just bananas! I was inspired by Gwyneth Paltrows’ new cook book, It’s All Good!
Here’s what I came up with!
Coconut Banana Creme Bowl
(Makes 2 Servings)
1/4 cup lite coconut milk
1/2 tsp coconut extract
1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder (optional)
2 tbsp sweetened shredded coconut
- Line cookie sheet with wax paper.
- Slice bananas into 1/4″ pieces and spread evenly on cookie sheet.
- Freeze bananas for 3-4 hours.
- Add banana pieces, coconut milk, extract, and protein powder into blender until soft serve consistency. Add more coconut milk if needed.
- Toast shredded coconut on dry non-stick pan until slightly brown. Watch coconut carefully to avoid burning. Coconut will toast quickly once heated through.
- Divide banana mixture into bowls and top with toasted coconuts. Feel free to add other toppings!